24/7 Emergency Service 1-410-245-5954

Quick Report Insurance Claims!

3 Ways To Prevent Accidental Fire Damage

3 Ways To Prevent Accidental Fire Damage

Here are some proactive tips to prevent accidental house fires.

An accidental fire can cause potentially devastating damage to your home. In 2015, household fires accounted for 77% of all structural fires, causing billions of dollars in damage. Fires are threats to you and your loved one’s safety, and your home. Fire damage is incredibly costly for the homeowner, so it is vital to stay vigilant and monitor your property for potential fire hazards. Here’s how to stop a house fire before it starts.

Never Leave an Open Flame Unattended

According to the National Fire Protection Association, candles were the source of approximately 8,200 house fires between the years of 2012 and 2016. To prevent fire damage in your home, handle open flames with care. Avoid using candles in the bedroom, and keep them away from flammable materials such as drapery, blankets, and clothing. If you have children, store matches and lighters out of their reach. Also, make sure to blow out all lit candles before leaving the room or going to sleep, otherwise you might find yourself needing emergency fire restoration service.

Monitor Your Heated Appliances

As winter approaches, make sure to clean your space heaters and have them inspected for condition issues. In the interest of protecting your home from fire damage, turn off any heating equipment before you leave the room, and unplug appliances when they are not in use. Electrical equipment should ideally be plugged into a grounded wall socket. Extension cords can seriously deteriorate over time, increasing the risk of electric shock and fire hazard. Old or broken electrical equipment can also quickly lead to a house fire, so replace your appliances if you believe it’s time for an upgrade.

Stay Alert While Cooking

Always be cautious when cooking by yourself or with others. Numerous house fires start in the kitchen, and cooking is the leading cause of home injuries. Flammable kitchen items such as oven mitts, towels, and wooden utensils should be kept away from the stovetop. It is a good idea to stay in the kitchen when there is an active heat source—never leave food simmering on the stove, and set a timer when you begin cooking as a reminder to yourself.

Fire And Smoke Damage Restoration From Smith & Son’s

At Smith & Son’s, we have provided the state of Maryland with top-notch workmanship on our restoration and remodeling jobs for over three decades. We have 24/7 availability and exceptional customer service, along with the expertise to complete all of your interior and exterior home remodeling needs. We take pride in what we do, and we know that you will too. For an exceptional job at an honest price throughout the Annapolis, Glen Burnie, Pasadena, Ellicott City, Severna Park, and Columbia areas, give us a call today at (410) 360-5252 or 1-410-245-5954 for 24/7 insurance home emergency service. You can also keep up with us on FacebookTwitter, and contact us here. We look forward to serving you.

This entry was posted on Friday, October 11th, 2019 at 11:59 am. Both comments and pings are currently closed.