24/7 Emergency Service 1-410-245-5954

Quick Report Insurance Claims!

Most Common Causes of House Fire And How To Prevent Them

Learn about the most common causes of house fires and a few tips to prevent them from happening in your home.

Learn about the most common causes of house fires and a few tips to prevent them from happening in your home.

One of the most common personal disasters that can happen to someone is also one the most preventable: a house fire. Fires can be incredibly destructive and even deadly, but you can prepare yourself and your property and try to prevent it from happening. You should always have a home fire escape plan, but here are some tips for preventing some common causes of house fires.


Stoves are often the source of the blaze in a house fire because there are so many ways that they can cause a fire. Grease can spill over onto a burner and ignite, or paper towels or dishcloths can light if they’re too close to the burner. Most of the time, this happens when the stove is left unattended. Be sure to keep a close eye on your stove when you’re cooking and make sure that your cooking area is clean and clear of debris.


There are many ways that your electrical system can lead to a fire. Overloaded outlets and excessive use of power cords can lead to dangerous situations where they overheat or spark and cause a blaze. Old and inadequate wiring that can’t handle the modern load of electronics can also lead to a fire. If your lights dim when you use an appliance, or you need many power strips to plug in all of your electronics, it is time to have an electrician come out and assess your situation. In the meantime, check all of your cords and cables and replace any that are frayed, and never plug heaters into extension cords.


Smoking indoors can sometimes lead to fires. If you don’t entirely extinguish a cigarette butt before you dispose of it, or you throw a match into the trash when it is still hot, you could cause a blaze. To prevent this, always use a deep ashtray when you smoke indoors and keep it clear of any flammable debris. Whenever possible, smoke outside but still be mindful of your cigarette butts.


Candles are an open flame that can quickly become a house fire if you’re not careful. Always put candles on a flat surface that is clear of anything flammable. Keep pets and kids well away from candles, and never leave candles burning unattended. To be on the safe side, consider opting for battery operated candles instead.

Fire And Smoke Damage Restoration From Smith & Son’s

At Smith & Son’s, we have provided the state of Maryland with top-notch workmanship on our restoration and remodeling jobs for over three decades. We have 24/7 availability and exceptional customer service, along with the expertise to complete all of your interior and exterior home remodeling needs. We take pride in what we do, and we know that you will too. For an exceptional job at an honest price throughout the Annapolis, Glen Burnie, Pasadena, Ellicott City, Severna Park, and Columbia areas, give us a call today at (410) 360-5252 or 1-410-245-5954 for 24/7 insurance home emergency service. You can also keep up with us on FacebookTwitter, and contact us here. We look forward to serving you.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 10th, 2019 at 10:45 am. Both comments and pings are currently closed.